home

Author Topic: WIP War Altar  (Read 4138 times)

Offline wardenmunger

• View Profile
WIP War Altar
« on: November 19, 2009, 10:31:36 PM »
I am going to my first tournie in 2 weeks and needed to knock up a war altar, as as the GW one is awful in my opinion, descided to convert one.

What I have come up with so far, I'm pleased with, other than it's not big enough, but hey with the 2 weeks left I can't do much else yet. So what do you guys think so far?

That is my Golden Griffin, bit small but looks cool.#

Listen in to one of the biggest podcasts in the UK - The Black Sun Podcast - over 18's only !

Follow me on twitter - @wardenmunger

Offline Badwolf

• 10mm KoW
    • View Profile
Re: WIP War Altar
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 11:12:50 PM »
Looking good so far. Nice GS work on the furs there. I assume that's to cover over the H'elf imagery (always a good thing  :icon_smile:).

I can't make out which wheels you're using. A good finishing touch could be to 'Empire up' the wheels in particular. ie. Make them sturdy and manly looking rather than spindly & elfy.

Please keep us up to date if you have the time.
B.

Offline wardenmunger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 11:18:01 PM »
Thanks Badwolf. I'm using the "spoilers" fron the plastic steam tank, the ones with griffins holding hammers on. I will get more pics on tomorrow. :biggriin:
Listen in to one of the biggest podcasts in the UK - The Black Sun Podcast - over 18's only !

Offline Orion

• The Hunter (aka Von Decker)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 12:00:22 AM »
excellent! I also use a High Elf chariot on the one I made for the mini exchange, and sometime I will repeat the conversion to myself. Your implementation is very good, with the GS work on the fur...

I really want to follow your work on this...

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 01:58:25 AM »
excellent! I also use a High Elf chariot on the one I made for the mini exchange, and sometime I will repeat the conversion to myself. Your implementation is very good, with the GS work on the fur...

I really want to follow your work on this...

And you did a great job of it too!!

Great work with the green stuff. That fur looks wonderful

Offline wardenmunger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 07:14:05 AM »
Thanks alot guys, I apprciate you compliments. I have undercoated the model now, but have to go to work in a bit, so will work on it tonight. I'll get some pics up then. It is a mish-mash between a Sigmarite and Ulrican Altar, I guess it will be better to have both Gods watch over it anyway! :smile2:

Offline zak

• Raging Viking
    • Zachary Moss
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 02:34:12 PM »
I like what im seeing keep posting  :smile2: :eusa_clap:
"Fight your foes in the field, nor be burnt in your house!"

Offline Obi

• Rest in peace Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 02:41:06 PM »
Very nice so far, I have one nitpicking to do:

the griffin is hovering. You might want to change that, it looks a bit odd right now.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Delthos

• Evil Polish Guy
    • View Profile
    • My Photobucket Ostermark Page
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 07:11:38 PM »
It's not hovering, it's front leg is attached to the ball or skull on the top of the yoke. If it's a statue it would still need to be supported on the back though as that front leg would eventually snap from all the bouncing and shaking.
Ostermark Photo Gallery
Ostermark Painting Log
"Kill 'em all and let Morr sort 'em out!" (General Ghent, Battle of Dumsky's Fallow)

Offline Merrick

• I say!
    • http://www.facebook.com/WinHereWinThereWinWinEverywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 07:18:06 PM »
I am really liking that.

Would love to see it painted.

Hint hint.

Offline wardenmunger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 09:38:11 PM »
I take your point about the "Floating" Golden Griffon, but with 2 weeks to convert and paint it, as well as finish the rest of my Army for a tournie, I'm not going to worry.

Plus it is blessed by Sigmar! There are 9 golden Griffon's on the Altar as well. I haven't quitwe finished the model - there are 2 ropes going from the empty hand to the yoke. I still have alot of painting to do as well, but here yu go as you all asked  :happy:

Comments are welcome!

Offline Valetus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 10:17:43 PM »
The modeling is quite good, nice to see after a sucession of appalling 'cheap but cheerful' stand ins that I have seen recently. Looks far more like a priest of Ulric if you ask me though.

Offline wardenmunger

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 11:33:22 PM »
Well Valetus, it's funny you should say that. I like both Gods and eing that he's going to my first competative tournie, I thought it would be a good idea to have both Sigmar and Ulric on side, hense the 9 golden griffons, plus all the wolf pelts and 3 wolf heads on the Altar.

After this one I will hace a crack again and will sell this one. I'm pleased with it to a degree, but if I had more time would have gone in a different direction.

Thanks for the compliment though  :biggriin:.