home

Author Topic: Painting flames  (Read 5126 times)

Offline Silvero

• Members
  • Commission painter, at your service!
    • https://www.facebook.com/HeyPaintIt/
Painting flames
« on: August 10, 2009, 08:52:52 PM »
Hi. I am reapinting my old free company into the  "witch hunter" militia style.
So I would like to know, what is your fire painting recipe?

Here is mine:

0/ Chaos Black

1/ Scab Red

2/ Blood Red

3/ 1 Blood Red : 1 Sunburst Yellow

4/ 1 Blood Red : 2 Sunburst Yellow

5/ Sunburst Yellow

6/ Maybe more highlighting, but I´m out of Skull White

That was my first flames painting attemp, but coments and critics welcomed....

Silvero´s brother

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
Re: Painting flames
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 12:17:27 AM »
The technique is good, and the end result looks nice, but it isn't flame. It's a mistake pretty much everyone makes the first time they paint flames, is starting dark red and going to light yellow.

Here is a nice link explaining it all:

http://www.hot-lead.org/advance/fire_theory.htm

I've only done one flame, and it was pretty simple to do, base coat of white, then I wash it yellow (leaving a little white at the bottom), then hand the entire model upside down, so it doesn't run down into the base of the flame (so it stayed white), then I did the same with a red wash, a bit further up, and holding it upside down again.

The washes used were the yellow and red ones from the Citadel Wash set.

Here is the result:

It's not very well done, but at least no-ones going to scream about combustion sources at me. Of course someone will do now.  :icon_neutral:
I thought he should act responsibly and just kill himself.

Offline Marcus Leitdorf

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 12:53:28 AM »
Mr D is right about the flames.

Here is one of my attempts at a flaming sword and staff. I personally think it adds a little to take the edges of the flames to a charcoal color to suggest smoke.

Faithfulness to our fathers, faithfulness to our sons. Marius shall be avenged!

Offline vesrian

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 03:25:16 AM »
MrDWhitey beat me to posting the link. The description there is pretty good. And it is a common mistake, not just for first time fire painters either. If you dig around the GW site, some of the 'eavy metal team get it wrong on occasion.

If you want to look at some pictures of fire to see how it actually looks, it's going to be much easier to see the colour pattern in a bonfire as compared to something small like a candle.

What you can see in a candle that isn't addressed in the fire theory link is that the very bright base of a fire doesn't always start at the very base of the fire. It depends on the fire size and source, but often the area of the fire source it is darker. You can see the dark combustion material (wood for a bonfire, wick of candle, rag of torch, etc...) through the flames. You can see this very clearly with a candle flame, and it may be part of the reason flames are painted backwards.

The light yellow/white area of the flame sometimes starts partway up on the combustible source or even a bit above the source. Again this depends on the size/type of the fire. In your case, i wouldn't expect the lower windows in the sconce (is that the right word) to be bright yellow/white even though they are at the base of the fire. They would be a darker colour, possibly highlighted to a yellow/orange, then 'highlighted' to an orange red.

Also, it's not really emphasized in the article, but if you look at the pictures of the fire, it's not just a gradient of white at the bottom progressing to red at the top. It's also white in the centre of the flame progressing to red on the sides and the top. The sword in Marcus Leitdorf's post shows this pretty well.

Edit: yeah, it's a long post - i was bored. Hope it's helpful to someone
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 03:35:04 AM by vesrian »
Just Say "No" to Pikes.

Offline Soren

• Members
  • Helstorm Rocket Test Pilot
Warm Regards,     Sören

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 08:05:29 AM »
For the record of course, I feel I should mention that really, it doens't matter all that much what order or pattern you get the colours in if the flame both looks like flame to someone looking at it and looks really cool, like the original posters does.

I understand the wanting to make it accurate, but I'm not sure that is the be all and end all. If someone paints it 'wrong' but it looks really cool and is obviously flames, that's just as cool to me.

Plus, who's to say that flames don't work the other way round in the Warhammer world... it is fantasy after all...  :-P
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline General Tomerix Rotenkopf

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 09:30:10 AM »
Really good tip, thank you very mucho!  :Ohmy:
Hobbits are stupid, Talabecs are thieves and Averlanders reek of horse shit.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 10:08:53 AM »
For the record of course, I feel I should mention that really, it doens't matter all that much what order or pattern you get the colours in if the flame both looks like flame to someone looking at it and looks really cool, like the original posters does.

I understand the wanting to make it accurate, but I'm not sure that is the be all and end all. If someone paints it 'wrong' but it looks really cool and is obviously flames, that's just as cool to me.

Plus, who's to say that flames don't work the other way round in the Warhammer world... it is fantasy after all...  :-P

You say all this, yet your avatar has flames in the background screaming in anguish as you typed it.

Offline Lord Quiran de Lancastre

• Members
  • My idiocy knows no bounds
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 10:56:51 AM »
the OP's method of fire is the same that I use, and personally it looks 1000 times better than true flames.

My biggest problem with people who paint true flames is that they almost always end up highlighting up to pure white, and it looks shite.

Then again I hate pretty much anything that is higlighted to white from any color other than black.

It reminds me alot of early studio painting from GW when everything had to have red on it. Everything was highlighted to pure white.

The dark red to light yellow method is far more dramatic than natural flames, and as such brings more attention to it.

Offline Silvero

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 11:50:54 AM »
Thanx guys, I really appreciate your recipes and advices.....

I think that MrDWhitey´s method wouldnot be a problem and it looks good and easy. The links are great, but it is harder advanced option, so maybe later after some practice.

Unfortunately I have no wash and it looks hard to do with normal paints so I´ll keep it meanwhile.

Excuse my english, I´m not accustomed to write long replies.....
Thanx anyway. And stiil post your recipes and opinions. I would be happy if this thread helps.

Offline MrDWhitey

• Members
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 11:52:48 AM »
Note though that what you did looks very nice, and no-one in their right mind would complain about it.

We're merely pointing out flames.  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 01:18:15 PM »

You say all this, yet your avatar has flames in the background screaming in anguish as you typed it.

But they're just orange. And I highly suspect they weren't real in the first place.  :-P

For the record, I have nothing against painting flames 'correctly'. In fact, I think I even tried it recently just for a change.

I just think that the main thing is for the flame to look cool. Correctness after that is personal preference.  :happy:
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline Spiney

• Members
  • Merchant Prince of Marienburg
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 03:16:47 PM »
Wowser the dragon in Soren's 2nd link has made me want to do a high elf army. I've never seen such an awesomely amazing conversion, maybe I'll get started on a Karl Franz project...

Brain wounder: for when you don't want to kill your enemies, just leave them bedridden and pissing themselves.

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 09:14:36 PM »
That dragon conversion is awesome -- don't care for how the painting of the flames turned out though.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline Silvero

• Members
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 03:11:24 PM »
Here you can see my second painting flames. I tried your "reallistic" method and this came out......

Silvero´s brother