home

Author Topic: WPS comp scores and magic  (Read 1948 times)

Offline vesrian

• Members
WPS comp scores and magic
« on: July 22, 2009, 09:33:07 PM »
It seems someone convinced everyone in my area to use the WPS army composition system (pdf version here) for tournaments. I avoid tournaments, so normally i wouldn't really care, except that now people are calculating WPS scores for their non-tournament lists as well. I don't want to be the one jerk who doesn't make a WPS friendly army, but i skimmed through the rules, and it looks stupid. I'm probably a bit biased because the system doesn't like my army theme. It's a colleges of magic theme, so not surprisingly it's magic heavy, which the system punishes harshly. (I'm taking a wizard lord as my general, and my comp score is trashed because of it. Oddly enough, I'd actually get a better score if i replaced him with with an AL on a war altar...)

I'm hoping to get a reality check here:
Is a magic heavy empire list (wizard lord, wizard, priest, and either BSB/wizard) actually that bad to play against?

I know some of you are familar with the WPS comp system - am i whining over nothing or is the system not worth the trouble?
Just Say "No" to Pikes.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
Re: WPS comp scores and magic
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 11:14:40 PM »
The fact you'd get a better score with a Waltar instead of Wixard lord is ridiculous.
I guess the system is designed to punish magic heavy VC and Demons, but doesn't apply properly across to Empire.
Aslong as you are not taking a waltar and stank, or multiple stanks, it is quite hard to make a cheesy empire army.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline dabber

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 04:34:11 AM »
I'm taking a wizard lord as my general, and my comp score is trashed because of it. Oddly enough, I'd actually get a better score if i replaced him with with an AL on a war altar...
I think you must be calculating wrong.  The AL on War Altar is worth 3 power dice and a penalty of -200.  Only if you have 11+ power dice is your Wizard Lord worse than that, and then just -100 more.  But any War Altar has the speculum, which is another -400, which puts it worse than a wizard lord.

The system is designed to punish any list taking something to the extreme.  A highly magic heavy army is definitely extreme.  Wizard Lord, level 2, priest is 9 power dice, which is only -550.  Not a big penalty in that system.  Even adding Doomfire for -800 is not that big a penalty.  Limit your shooting and take ranked infantry and your score should be reasonable.
You do not want to see a Master Engineer across the table giving you the bird.  With Pigeon Bombs, he is a killing machine.  Ridicule the robo horse relentlessly, but pay homage to the pigeon.

Offline vesrian

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 07:59:13 AM »
I'm taking a wizard lord as my general, and my comp score is trashed because of it. Oddly enough, I'd actually get a better score if i replaced him with with an AL on a war altar...
I think you must be calculating wrong.  The AL on War Altar is worth 3 power dice and a penalty of -200. 
Ah, you may be right. I guess the war altar counts as a bound item? so an extra die? If so, I missed that. That changes things a bit, but not much. If i have a lev. 2 wiz and a priest (which i do) i have 5PD 4DD before adding a lord. (6 PD with a bound item). Now look at each of the lord choices:

AL on altar: 8PD, 6DD: -650 (with bound item and 9PD: -850) (with VHS: -1050/-1250)
wizard lord: 9PD, 6DD: -650 (with bound item and 10PD: -900) (with VHS: -850/-1100)
grand master: 5PD, 4DD: -50 (with bound item and 6PD: -100)
 general: 5PD, 4DD : +150 (with bound item and 6PD: +100)

A wizard lord is likely to have VHS too. Giving it to both, they're still pretty close. Either way, is a wizard lord in the same league as a AL on the altar? I actually thought i was nerfing my army quite a bit by using the wizard lord. However....

The penalty for a bloodthirster is -800, a star dragon is -1200, all the other dragons are -600 to -1000.
Unless i screwed up again, it's costing me between -600 and -1200 to take a Ld 8 wizard lord instead of a Ld 9 grand master or general who are probably going to be more useful and likely cheaper in points as well. Are those extra 4 PD/ 2DD really that unbalancing?

Ph34R the empire wizards !!!!!1!1one

It seems a bit askew. That's not my only problem with the system. The whole thing seems badly flawed.
But like i said, i'm a bit biased. That's why i'm asking the questions in my original post.
Just Say "No" to Pikes.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 09:54:36 AM »
Hmm, if you build your army around it (ie compensate for the lack of a LD 9 general by using Greatswords and Flaggelants) then the Wizardlord is probably the 2nd best lord, imo.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Mikael.K

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 01:48:43 PM »
Could you post your list so that we may see what else you bring to the table?  :-D You can usually take one good thing with this compsystem, but you have to balance the with something else. I would probably go with a AL on war altar and get some infantry to balance him up.