home

Author Topic: Orthodox gallery of Jan Boruta (up. 27.08.09 - swordsmen, conversion)  (Read 17493 times)

Offline jan_boruta

• Members
  • Nordland Navy in for the kill!
At first I wanted to do Reiklanders/Wissenlanders/Averlanders, but trouble with fluff and contradiction between state colours and my desired colour scheme made me choose Ostland as my province. It's fluffy, has a strong, contrasting livery, and looks good on the table.  :happy: However, I left some characters from Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay and whom I made up for my town of Wallendorff which was meant to be on Reikland/Wissenland border.

Disclaimer: bear in mind that (almost) all miniatures down there are more or less WIP - the bases are not ready, I didn't touch the faces, didn't shade anything - I will do this soon, I hope!  :ph34r: Oh, and those are my first minis ever painted!

And I know, mould lines. Was too eager to paint, I forgot to remove them... :blush:

But, on to the pictures. The first guys I painted were the archers, converted from old Bretonnians.

Karl Gruber's Hunters:

Next, the handgunners
  front row (there will be a skull on the banner, I wasn't happy with the first one so removed it):

back row:

Swordsmen
  front row:

back row:

Ioachim Inkermann, swordsmen champion:

banner:

halberdier detachment:

Iohann Altefeld, captain of the Empire: (made him on a rock, because his cloak collided with swordsmens' shields)

(sorry for that KF, but he's got the state trooper's KF armour, I wanted to be consequent)

Pistoliers:

Knights:[/]
(I made up the order, it's the Ostwache (Eastern Watch), like Ostlander Reiksguard. the IC knights will be von Raukov's household Wolfenburg Lancers. the Grand Master will be Reinhardt von Wallendorff, my character from WFRP)

The only thing finished so far, the cannon:

Mortar, built from leftovers, sprues, LEGO wheels and bits from my friend's Flagellants:

the guys from Nuln didn't send the crew, but they gave instructions!

And the most WIP mini, a baseless, converted Bretonnian, he will be von Raukov himself!

I hope you like it. Comments & critiques are welcome! :)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 06:52:41 AM by jan_boruta »
sheer poofy-sleeved bad-assery

I am a modeller
And I file, and I file
I file through ten tons of mold lines
Till the stars come out of the sky!

Offline Your Mother

• Members
Not bad for your first minis. Your banners are outstanding. A few of the face could use another coat of paint and just some touch ups here and there. But considering they are still WIP I cant wait to see the finished results....God Speed :icon_lol:
I like cheese.            My Army Blog: http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=21327.0

Offline Frank_91

• Members
Although I really like the other stuff, your freehand are very good! The cape on the captain (?) is great! Keep up the good work!
Why kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
The colours are coming clear, balanced, nice, and your freehands rock.  :icon_biggrin:

BUT: you should have utilised knife & files before painting. There are heavy mold lines visible everywhere.  :icon_cry:

-ile
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
The color scheme does look like Ostland.  Some relatively neat painting for your first minis, congrats, and it looks like to some extent you took your time.  The paints seem to need just a it more thinning, but you did seem to achieve a decently even coat.

I like how you put Empire feathers on the older Bret archers. :icon_cool:

Very good looking free hand banner and the officer's cloak, too! :eusa_clap:

The pistoliers' horses could use a coat of wash.  With the mortar the touch hole has been covered by the dolphin, which I could see maybe putting one on each side of the touch hole instead.  I woudl do some touch up work on the back side of the general's horse.

Good overall look to you're army. :::cheers:::

"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline jan_boruta

• Members
Thanks for the comments :)

@Zygmund - I was to hasty and forgot to remove the mold lines, I wanted to paint! :happy:

@GamesPoet - almost whole my army is just primed with basic colours, there's no shading at all (except for cannon and crew). This is my task for July, heavy washing and highlighting the army, plus doing all the faces  :closed-eyes: Von Raukov is all WIP, the coat isn't done, there's gotta be a thousand ornaments and stuff :)

I am a modeller
And I file, and I file

Offline jan_boruta

• Members
Re: Orthodox gallery of Jan Boruta (up. 23.07.09 - Thunderers)
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 06:43:38 PM »
A week ago my friend and neighbour with whom I often play gave me unpainted Skull Pass Thunderers, he said he didn't like the models and they spoiled the looks of his army on shelf. I painted them over weekend with a given colour scheme, finished yesterday, and tried to do my best. Hope he (and you) will like them! :)

« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 06:49:45 PM by jan_boruta »

I am a modeller
And I file, and I file

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 07:30:05 PM »
they look even better than your empire, you obviously have talent. Go back and redo those empire, if you are careful you can still scrape off the mold lines and then reprime the area and repaint, I think that you will be pleased with the difference that will make.  Continue to post so we can track your developing skill. thanks for sharing. steveb

Offline Count Stephano

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 08:04:39 PM »
That's an impressive development compared to your Empire (and your empire is not bad by all means). The dwarves are really nice!

Keep it coming!
many counts say die for our cause, i say; let them die for their cause

Offline jan_boruta

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 08:25:23 PM »
they look even better than your empire, you obviously have talent. Go back and redo those empire, if you are careful you can still scrape off the mold lines and then reprime the area and repaint, I think that you will be pleased with the difference that will make.  Continue to post so we can track your developing skill. thanks for sharing. steveb
Will do! My Empire was still WIP at the moment I posted them and the Dwarves were a really good training. The mold lines aren't a problem, a sharp knife is a modeller's best friend ;) I'm currently working on my captain, I'll post him tomorrow, though he doesn't have that much detail as the Dwarves - so please don't expect miracles. :)

I am a modeller
And I file, and I file

Offline CM Dante

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 10:54:34 PM »
Ostlanders have a special place in my heart so naturally I am enjoying seeing someone else doing them.

The banner on your state troopers looks very nice and I like what you've done on the captains cloak.

I think the skin could benefit from a bit of shading but it depends on how much time you are wanting to spend on average troopers.

Cheers,

Dante

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 01:43:30 AM »
Those are some very tasty dwarfs. Excellent job.
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline jan_boruta

• Members
Re: Orthodox gallery of Jan Boruta (up. 24.07.09 - Captain & crew)
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 06:50:13 AM »
Thanks for the comments :) Yesterday night I finished the captain (the paint might seem too thick in the photos, but in reality it isn't like that, really):

And I'm posting the crew I forgot to upload, I did them along with the Dwarfs.

Hope you like it :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 07:00:46 AM by jan_boruta »

I am a modeller
And I file, and I file

Offline Count Stephano

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 07:42:47 AM »
And you keep to impress me further... :happy:

Stunning job on the cloak and some nice highlighting there.
many counts say die for our cause, i say; let them die for their cause

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2009, 09:11:14 AM »
That captain... Consider the converting idea stolen. :)

Good job, no more mould lines, and the precision of your painting is well above average. :)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline jan_boruta

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2009, 09:52:56 AM »
That captain... Consider the converting idea stolen. :)
Hm, the idea is semi-mine, the Bismarck-look was suggested by my Dwarf-friend, but it can be only better if more such captains appear :D (and who said 7th ed. state troops set is this bad? ;) )

I am a modeller
And I file, and I file

Offline jan_boruta

• Members
Re: Orthodox gallery of Jan Boruta (up. 27.07.09 - gunners' musician)
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 05:55:03 PM »
I had a brief break in painting this weekend, today I started work on my handgunners. Got rid of the mold lines, but I've got only the musician so far - I want to make sure I'm alive ;)

More to come!

I am a modeller
And I file, and I file

Offline jan_boruta

• Members
Re: Orthodox gallery of Jan Boruta (up. 27.07.09 - gunners' musician)
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009, 03:12:44 PM »
I'm working quite slow recently... Back row of the handgunners' unit. Hope you like it, I keep practicing :closed-eyes:

Do tell me if the photos are too small or too dark, I'm posting them from a laptop computer and the screen might be confusing me a little.  :ph34r:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 07:49:45 PM by jan_boruta »

I am a modeller
And I file, and I file

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
Re: Orthodox gallery of Jan Boruta (up. 30.07.09 - handgunners)
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2009, 03:19:19 PM »
Those are outstanding!

:::cheers:::

:eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

Offline Nicholas Bies

• Members
  • puzzling
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2009, 03:28:42 PM »
Wow they look great. When I saw your first mini's I was like "nice start, great banners but obviosuly a beginner" (not that I'm a great painter myself).

Those dwarfs and handgunners are simply jaw dropping in how well done they are. Can't wait to see the rest of your army.
The greatest form of control which can go on forever until it is exposed is a tyranny you can't see, touch and taste (unlike totalitarian Govts). When you sit in a prison cell but can't see the bars, because people don't rebel against not being free when they think they're are.

Offline Soulcaresser

• Members
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2009, 04:56:41 PM »
Excellent stuff :eusa_clap: Really nice to see how you re models get better with every picture. One note though i saw on one of the first pictures the mouldline on one of the minies. Take those carefully away as it ruins a greatly painted mini!

Offline jan_boruta

• Members
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2009, 05:07:39 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys, you're great :::cheers:::

Excellent stuff :eusa_clap: Really nice to see how you re models get better with every picture. One note though i saw on one of the first pictures the mouldline on one of the minies. Take those carefully away as it ruins a greatly painted mini!
I was bashed for that, now all the mold lines are removed, even from the old minis (luckily I didn't shade them, so the task is easier) :)

I am a modeller
And I file, and I file

Offline CM Dante

• Members
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2009, 06:10:15 PM »
Your painting is really coming along quickly mate, those handgunners are your best yet!

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Dante

Offline Your Mother

• Members
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2009, 08:26:05 PM »
Nice job, keep it up.
I like cheese.            My Army Blog: http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=21327.0

Offline Boldrick

• Members
  • My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2009, 08:32:58 PM »
Incredible handgunners