home

Author Topic: Used a volley gun  (Read 13907 times)

Offline dabber

• Members
Re: Used a volley gun
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2008, 06:59:29 PM »
In my next, 1K game I am returning to the helblaster after a long while of ignoring it.  I will be bringing an Engineer.  If I roll three misfires (not on the re-roll, just normally for each volley) then can he re-roll each misfire?
No.  Read the engineer rules.
You do not want to see a Master Engineer across the table giving you the bird.  With Pigeon Bombs, he is a killing machine.  Ridicule the robo horse relentlessly, but pay homage to the pigeon.

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
  • Misinterpreting GW rules since 1991
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2008, 10:48:58 PM »
Sadly, the helblaster and helstorm are too new-fangled for an engineer to master, so no rerolling misfires; though you can use his ballistic skill.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

— Popularly but incorrectly attributed to William Gibson

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2008, 11:52:36 PM »
People keep comparing it to the 6th edition hellblaster without acknowledging that the 6th edition hellblaster was vastly too powerful.  Nothing in the game of vaguely comparable points cost had as much impact as a 6th edition hellblaster.  No legit unit could afford to come near it.  Of course the hellblaster is weaker now!  That is a GOOD thing.

Meh. The organ gun is only slightly less dangerous to anything but the largest units, far more reliable, and is crewed by a stubborn crew. It's just as bad as the helblaster.

Was the 6th edition helblaster powerful, well yes of course it was. Perhaps it should have costed a little more. But people tended to focus on the times when it worked, and didn't notice it blew (and blows) itself up half the time and can be easily taken out by anything that reaches it. In some games it'd really do its job ( if your opponent took the risk of putting a valuable unit in range, which he shouldn't in the first place), but other games it'd do nothing but explode.

I want the old helblaster rules back. It gives you something besides magic that can deal with pesky units of skirmishers and flyers... And it just doesn't make sense to roll to hit either with a war machine that spews a huge amount of schrapnel to the enemy - as if you could try to aim with each little piece of schrapnel that is fired. :roll: Silly rule.
cisse

No matter how fast you run, your ass will always be in front of me...

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2008, 04:54:11 PM »
Amen to that!
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2008, 11:16:18 AM »
I want the old helblaster rules back. It gives you something besides magic that can deal with pesky units of skirmishers and flyers... And it just doesn't make sense to roll to hit either with a war machine that spews a huge amount of schrapnel to the enemy - as if you could try to aim with each little piece of schrapnel that is fired. :roll: Silly rule.

You nailed it.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline RGB

• Members
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2008, 11:22:09 AM »

You nailed it.

Phil

But it's not 7th edition? How can it be that you like it? Sense has nothing to do with it, only current rules :P
[in the good of life]

Offline scarletsquig

• Members
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2008, 01:37:27 PM »
However 1v1 the Helstorm will always be more effective- time after time.
Well, it does cost 15 points more.

I still prefer the helblaster, but only in pairs.

I stick them inbetween blocks, so they can't be easily charged. I don't take handgunner detachments because I like to keep my line tight with no weak points, and the helblaster is an excellent replacement for them.

If you look at the maths, the change from 6th to 7th isn't all that bad. People focus on the negatives and forget that it's long range shots went up by a point of strength, the chance of a catastrophic misfire halved, it now gets a +1 large target bonus, and it went down in cost by 15 points. Portent of far works well on it too, if you want a spell for your scroll caddy to use while he hides.

In 6th edition, the helblaster was only really effective at short range, which any opponent worth his salt would absolutely not let happen (mine learned pretty quickly anyway  :icon_twisted: ). Beyond that it was a simple replacement for a unit of handgunners.

It used to ping heavy cavalry and large monsters with strength 4, now it slaughters them with strength 5.

The helblaster has a completely different role to the helstorm anyway... it is now "anti big things" whereas the helstorm is "anti small things"... it's like trying to compare a cannon to a mortar. If anything, the best war machine to compare it to would be the great cannon or DOW cannon.

Offline blurred

• Members
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2008, 02:27:16 PM »
Well put scarletsquig.

I wouldn't compare helblaster to any other empire war machine as its role on the field is much more flexible than any other war machine's: it can hurt everything the game has to offer. Also, it isn't a single shot wonder like great cannon or mortar or helstorm; I'd say the helblaster is the most reliable war machine at inflicting wounds, though the amount of wounds may not always be that massive.
...and hell came with him...

Offline scarletsquig

• Members
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2008, 04:07:21 PM »
I went on to do a bit of 6th edtion helblaster vs 7th edition helblaster calculation against some empire units just to illustrate the change.

Average long-range Helblaster wounds against empire units, 6th edition vs. 7th edition, based on 18 shots/turn.

6th edition      7th edition       Difference
Empire state troops          6                 5               17% worse
Empire Greatswords          5                 5               0% change
Empire Knights                 2                2.5             25% better
Empire Griffon                  3                4.5             50% better

So, it's effectiveness against T3 infantry with 5+ (or lower) saves has been reduced by 17%. Consider the 12% reduction in points cost and that's not so bad at all, especially when you factor in the 50% lower chance of the thing exploding.

Increase the toughness or the save beyond that even by a single point, and the 7th edition helblaster breaks even, increase it further and you start to get huge positives in the performance. Against Dragons (T6, 3+ save) the 7th edition helblaster is 150% more effective! You now have 5 helblasters instead of 2 when that smug HE player with the star dragon list comes along!

I honestly think the helblaster got better in 7th edition, overall. I never have trouble dealing with infantry.. I do have trouble dealing with big nasty tough scary things that are capable of charging and breaking my main blocks on turn 2, even when I've got a supporting detachment in their flank. Dual helblasters are my "GTFO" response to things like grail knights with the banner of the lady, that I will probably only get 1 turn to shoot at before they start turning my army into a series of lumpy red smears.

If don't want to take it because you think the helstorm is better then that's fine, just don't avoid it because you think it got nerfed from 6th to 7th, because it didn't. 

Hope I managed to break a long-term myth there, I was getting a bit tired of seeing people being advised to remove helblasters from their army lists all the time. :smile2:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 04:31:12 PM by scarletsquig »

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2008, 08:24:13 PM »
I like the helblaster--some changes were good, some were bad, but they balance out IMO.   The 6th edition HB only hitting at S4 and halving the number of shots at over 12" meant that most people usually only fired it at short range anyway--so it was more of a psychological weapon and not fired that often. Now ST5 at all ranges is great even if you are rolling for number of shots now instead of number of hits. The big change is against skirmishers--the old HB could totally wipe them out regardless of whether they were taking cover in terrain, but I think this was totally overpowered anyway. There should be some benefit for being spread out and in cover as opposed to being packed in shoulder-to-shoulder and nut-to-butt like a normal ranked unit.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 08:26:19 PM by [SYN] Ace »
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with assholes.

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2008, 12:41:28 AM »
Scarletsquig, in your example you don't give results when firing at skirmishers or flyers. The new helblaster still has its uses, yes, and in lists where I can't take a second cannon (due to greatswords, pistoliers and outriders being fun to use), I always take a helblaster to make up for this. It's still rather good against big targets.

But it should also be useful against skirmishers, and it just isn't. Besides, why on earth would you roll to hit with such a weapon? It's not like you'd do anything more than pointing it in the right direction. Benefuts for skirmishers against ranked units? When firing arrows or bullets, yes. But when firing a huge amount of schrapnel like the helblaster does, it's easy to imagine that you annihilate the front rank(s) of a unit when they're ranked up, or the shots pass through and hit the men behind the first if they're skirmishing.

The old helblaster was decent at long range, and very good at short range. Was it too powerful at short range? Nah. Could perhaps have costed a few points extra, but it was (and is) easy to kill (or kills itself) and well, your opponent shouldn't put expensive unis in close proximity of the helblaster.
cisse

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2008, 12:58:35 AM »
I disagree that the helblaster should be as useful against skirmishers as it used to be-- now I took full advantage of it in earlier editions, but negating the survivability of skirmishers  especially when taking cover in terrain was just broken and cheesy and didn't make sense. It should be deadlier against ranked units.

Offline Lord Etharion

• Members
  • RIP Rufas
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2008, 04:28:38 AM »
I love it when people actually bring numbers rather than assertion to their arguments. 'squig, if this forum had props or reputation points or something, I'd give you one. But is this long or short range, and would you mind do equivalent stats for, say beastherds?

On skirmishers, yeah it actually makes sense that the HBVG would hit less against them. I mean, if you throw a bucket of water at a brick wall, and then at a chain link fence, which one is going to get hit with more water?

Secondly, don't we have 'nillas for dealing with skirmishers?
Quote from: Shadowlord
Moo-moo land here I come.
Quote from: rufus sparkfire
I only wish moo-moo land didn't have an internet connection.

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2008, 07:16:21 PM »
I disagree that the helblaster should be as useful against skirmishers as it used to be-- now I took full advantage of it in earlier editions, but negating the survivability of skirmishers  especially when taking cover in terrain was just broken and cheesy and didn't make sense. It should be deadlier against ranked units.

Skirmishers are survivable enough against normal shooting.

Magic spells don't do lesser damage against skirmishers either, so it's not like there is no precedent.
cisse

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2008, 08:37:13 PM »
Ran a helblaster and a helstorm today -- the helblaster did a hell of a lot better. My dwarven opponent took the rune that lets units within range of it march move before the first turn and then he got the first turn, so he was on me pretty quickly, even for a dwarf. The helstorm only killed maybe six dwarves total and with some horrible rolling twice actually drifted into my lines and killed more of my troops than his. The Helblast suffered two misfires but didn't blow up and devastated two of his units. Helstorm is too random for my tastes and success is removing randomness. I think i'd take two helblasters over two helstorms.

Also, to make some of you cringe -- i took a master engineer. His cannon rolled three misfires during the game and he converted those into killing shots--good bye Grudge Thrower. Huzzah!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 12:17:37 AM by [SYN] Ace »

Offline BrownCharlie

• Members
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2008, 05:21:57 AM »
I honestly don't have a huge problem with requiring a to hit roll. If you think about it, BS 3 at S5 long range is about the same as the original halved misfire dice at S4. I honestly think the old one was a little rediculous at short range though.

The one thing that gets me to no end is that they toned its power down BUT kept the same rediculously unreliable misfire probabilities. A 55% change of blowing up over the course of the game was fine for the 6th edition, but the fact that we're paying roughly the same in points for something that renders itself ineffective after a couple of turns or just serves as free victory points is just nuts. GW should have changed the misfire table... blows up only on a 1, got rid of the silly 10 shots on a 6, and made the rest of the results dud barrels and no more shots that turn. No other Empire warmachine (or really any other) carries that high of a risk for such mediocre payoff.

Unfortunately, I still take it because yeah... no other warmachine or missile troop can really deal with small hard hitting enemy units like cav as well on such a small frontage... but "least shitty alternatives" don't make for a good army book. 

Offline scarletsquig

• Members
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2008, 06:33:54 AM »
GW should have changed the misfire table... blows up only on a 1

They did... it used to blow up on a 1-2, it now blows up on a 1. There is also the suicidal 6 option but I'm usually happy when that happens even though it means losing the gun.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 07:27:54 AM by scarletsquig »

Offline Syn Ace

• Members
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2008, 07:13:15 AM »
Yeah, you've got about a 32% of it blowing up when rolling a misfire-- a 1 and 6 blow it up, but the 6 gives you your shots.

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2008, 07:18:48 AM »
The Chaos player landed his Bloodthirster 8 inches away.

Ultimately I scored 1 wound.

That is not because the HBVG is a crappy rare choice, that is rolling really bad when it counted.

The new HBVG is a better choice against large targets, especially 13-24 inches away as you will always get +5 STR and +1 to hit. With an engineer, should you play such friendly games, you will hit easier.

I use it one third of my battles.
My hood is my castle...

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2008, 07:55:19 AM »
If you compare what a helblaster can do compared to the same points of handgunners I find it is normally a positive unit.

I think you have to forget what it was in the old 6th edition book.  It is no longer the unit killer, that has passed to the helstorm.  It is now a direct threat at long range to expensive things like knights and monsters. 

At short range is is worse than it used to be, but with strength 5 at long range it is very good at keeping enemy horsemen away from flanks.  Even monster units tend to be wary of it. 
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2008, 02:44:12 PM »
It's cheaper than 14 handgunners. On average you'll get 18 shots from your HBVG per turn. At strength 5.  HBVG > 14 handguns. Especially with an engineer.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2008, 02:52:26 PM »
The fact that it only takes up 2.5 inches of battleline is also a big bonus for the HBVG compared to handgunners.

It still cannot touch helstorms.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline Crimsonsphinx

• Members
  • A mind without purpose walks in dark places
    • marcwalpole
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2008, 02:58:18 PM »
Mines based on a 50mm base and it happily fits on that.

I like it, just don't expect it to scythe down hordes of cheap things.  Thats the helstorms job.
Stare into the Abyss and the Abyss stares back.

Visit my 40k blog http://2plusdispel.blogspot.com/ updated four or more times a month and offers painting advice and gaming advice for warhammer 40,000

Offline Dendo Star

• Members
  • And......loving it.
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2008, 06:32:31 AM »
The new HBVG is a better choice against large targets, especially 13-24 inches away as you will always get +5 STR and +1 to hit. With an engineer, should you play such friendly games, you will hit easier.

But why not just use cannons?
I'm in college!

Offline CaptScott

• Members
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2008, 07:45:47 AM »
In my next, 1K game I am returning to the helblaster after a long while of ignoring it.  I will be bringing an Engineer.  If I roll three misfires (not on the re-roll, just normally for each volley) then can he re-roll each misfire? 

Sorry, the Engineer can't re-roll experimental weapons, only cannons and mortars.   :-(

They take minimal space on the field, but can unleash a very destructive volley with a bit of luck: its perfect to place between big blocks of troops.

I feel the same way, but I think outriders do a better job. 

Now thats an interesting question, which is better: 5 Outriders or 1 Helblaster?  Outriders have 15 guaranteed St 4 AP shots, BS4, and the same range, but they are more fragile and take a special slot.
2010 - The year of Empire.
2011 - The year of Empire!