home

Author Topic: Contest Voting - Front Rank  (Read 10399 times)

Offline Calvin

• Administrator
Contest Voting - Front Rank
« on: March 19, 2008, 08:26:59 PM »
The conversion contest is over, so it's time to vote for your favourite front rank models. Please see the entry thread for more pictures. Vote away, and don't forget: this is a conversion contest, not a painting contest.

Please keep the contest rules in mind while voting:
  • must include 5 minis including a champion, musician, standard bearer, and two troopers.
  • must be from core, state troop infantry. (spearmen, halberdiers, swordsmen, crossbowmen, hundgunners)

Wyzer1:

Warhammerlord_soth:

fbjorn:

Warlord:

Sigmork:

Shadoweyed:

JAK:

username:

Von Decker:

CaptScott:

geektom:

King:

steveb:

redjoey:

SirUlrich:

spacecowboy:

bornbm01:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 07:51:32 PM by Calvin »
Quote from: Rufas the Eccentric
Remember this every one, when in trouble just screem, CALVIN!
Quote from: Eight
I'd pay an extra 15 points or so to be able to take the engineer out back and shoot him.

Offline Guildenstern

Re: Contest Voting - Front Rank
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 08:42:27 PM »
for me this was the best contest here, yet.
Guildenstern
My Blog

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 08:53:39 PM »
Great!  Im glad you enjoyed it and I'm glad we had so many entries this time around. Exellent job everyone   :eusa_clap:  :eusa_clap:  :eusa_clap:

Offline Soju

• personal text goes here
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 09:01:33 PM »
I reckon, the competition is getting larger and better every time IMO.

Hooray for all!!!

sj

EDIT: man I can't decide who to vote for lol

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 09:10:51 PM »
Before too many people post, let me just remind people not to critique or comment on individual entries until after the voting is done. SO you don't unintentionally influence other peoples voting.  :smile2:

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Eurobash : Looking for the right date. Be there !
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 09:17:23 PM »
Well, I vote for Wyzer for the comic relief, fbjorn for the paint job, Warlord for the idea, sigmork for the dynamic approach, shadoweyed for the many ranges used, JAK for the originality of each model, username for the skeleton, Von decker for the heroic feel, capt scott for looking so menacing, geektom because the Mordheim models look so cool ranked up, King for the sheer charisma of the champion, steveb for the Olympic hurdles record (and dynamics, idea, etc..), redjoey for originality, Sir Ulrich for being a fluff bunny with enormous skills (love that unit), Spacecowboy for impresiveness and finally, last but not least bornbm01 for merging hobbies in an admirable way...

Each entry has its merits, and even though everyone here will have a favourite, my third vote goes to those entries that will not get any... because all of you guys are friggin' awesome....

:eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

EDIT : I figure if I comment on all I am not influencing anything... If someone feel my post is out of order, I'll remove it...
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Moxer

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 08:42:42 AM »
Small nitpicking:
there is a c/p error in the first post. It says vote for your favourite mounted BSB...
Just another imperial minotaur.

Offline wissenlander

• The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 01:36:28 PM »
This was the hardest one yet.  A lot of good entries here.  Even with two votes, it still wasn't enough.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline BAWTRM

• The Netherlands
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 05:10:52 PM »
Incredibly hard choice! Well done guys. :eusa_clap:
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline cubantie

• cat in a hat
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 02:46:07 AM »
wasnt an obious choice for sure... hmmm...
The Dane: "Where's Leo?"
Irish Hoodlum: "If I tell ya, how do I know you're not gonna kill me?"
The Dane: "Cuz if ya told me and I killed ya and you were lyin' I wouldn't get to kill ya then!

Offline SpaceCowboy

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2008, 12:30:21 PM »
Many many really good entries! Really cool that you can make so many different things with just a normal statetroopers. Really good work everyone!
My gaming/painting blog http://diceandbrush.blogspot.com/

Offline Wyzer1

• ^My Pic - Stuff I say ->
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 05:34:52 AM »
Cool, mine actualy got a couple votes  :happy:

Wasn't expecting hardly any, I did next to no converting... just did it for the banner pretty much

Had a hard time deciding on my votes.... Lots of really good entries and none that were a far leap above the other entrants (brian lee Otaku didn't enter  :wink:  )

Very good work everyone all around  :::cheers:::
Long time Wood Elf and Empire player with newly acquired High Elves

Offline Obi

• Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 01:10:27 PM »
Seconded, it was really hard to decide what I'd vote for! But I made my choice and I hope they win, but everyone deserves to win! Just taking the time to do something is worth a reward. So get your glass and I'll roll out the kegs!
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline CaptScott

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 05:11:52 AM »
Time for some comments, please vote before reading.

Wyzer1 - still brings a smile to my face
Warhammerlord_soth - good dynamic posing, cool 'militia' feel. 
fbjorn - beautifully painted, that champion is uber-cool
Warlord - so thats what the old DE torsos can be used for!  All that bronze gives it a cool Khemri / Nehekhara feel.  Very cool, banner's great.  Can't wait to see the final unit.
Sigmork - Fantastic! Excellent posing of the models, and what can I say about that champion!  He reminds me of Matthew McConaughey in 'Reign of Fire', when he jumps of the tower with the axe.  Pure awesomesauce!
Shadoweyed - hard to pick out the details in that picture.  The champion looks very cool, might have to 'borrow' what you did with this model.  That banner is going to work well with the unit.
JAK - Can't quite put my finger on what I like about it ... for some reason the style reminds me of the heavy metal pics from old white dwarfs.  Great!  Still trying to pick where all the parts came from.
username - aaarrggh, thar be pirates!  Well, thats what it seems like to me.  Never seen a corpse used as a banner before - great stuff.
Von Decker - Fantastic entry.  Firstly the simple running conversion works very well, and that giant horn is very cool (another idea I might 'borrow').  However the champion is what really shines, great greenstuff work, excellent pose, and good use of the shield decals as shin guards.
CaptScott - Awesome, bagpiper, giant club, nice work on the spears... hang on, thats my entry!
geektom - Great use of a range of models, and wonderfully painted.  Overall very cool.
King - Cool, a hammer-er unit!  hard to pick out some of the details.  Nice work on the champions sword.  I think this unit is going to look great.
steveb - woohoo!  Excellent work!  Great work posing the models, I particularly like the way the soldier on the end is volting over the fence.  Great overall effect!
redjoey - In one word - cool!  Every part of this conversion is great, the guitarist especially.  Just watch out for the inquisition, they might deem you to be under the influence of chaos...  Great painting on the banner.
SirUlrich - alright, I don't mind saying it, this is my favourite!  Your bagpiper surely puts mine to shame (I could only fit on two pipes),  you even managed to make it look like his fingers are playing the 'pipe'.  Mine must be able to play better however, judging by the spearmans reaction.  Love the standard bearer dragging that coward back into the battle.  And another drunk soldier to top it off (the Empire must have a drinking problem seeing the number of bottles in these entries). And a fantastic paint job to finish it off!
spacecowboy - another fantastic entry.  Great under fire effect, I like how the champion is reacting to the standard bearer being shot.  Great 'fur' work.
bornbm01 -   I love this entry.  Great uniforms, one of the few to do this.  Great work!  One of my favourites.
Thanks for entering everyone, one of the best comps yet!  :biggriin:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 05:17:12 AM by CaptScott »
2010 - The year of Empire.
2011 - The year of Empire!

Offline Orion

• The Hunter (aka Von Decker)
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2008, 08:58:58 PM »
Well, the contest is over, and I just have to thank all that guys that participated in the contest, voting o sculping. Itīs an honuor to have participated with so distinguished company. I really happy with my third position, as it was the first time I use greenstuff, and by the comments It seems that I have been able to trasmit the 'heroic charge' feeling that I want to do. This experience in the contest gives me a lot of inspiration and gains of start a lot of conversion projects...just waiting for the next!

Maybe if I have painted my entry I may have achieve a better result, but, you know, I had the same time as all the competitors, so it is only my fault. I havenīt post the front rank after painting it because I think that wouldnīt have been fair, as it could influence the votes.

Really excelent entries, I like a lot of small details...the bagpipers (definately stolen idea for future project), the arabian feeling, the bone standard, the jumping man, the multietnic entries, the dinamic hence jump, the fur work in greenstuff, the strage hats,  and a lot more...really a lot of thing to learn and take inspiration for...

Just curius...What it is the hobby that references the entry from bornbm01? I seem that it has to be with uniforms, but it is not known here in Spain  :icon_question:...

And, of course, congratulations to SirUlrich...it was my favourite, I think that all of them is excelent, but that bagpiper...without words  :ph34r:...I really like to see a step-by-step...

as I said, just  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:for everyone!

Offline cubantie

• cat in a hat
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2008, 06:46:41 AM »
When / about what will the next contest be about?
The Dane: "Where's Leo?"
Irish Hoodlum: "If I tell ya, how do I know you're not gonna kill me?"
The Dane: "Cuz if ya told me and I killed ya and you were lyin' I wouldn't get to kill ya then!

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2008, 07:59:17 AM »
Well, I must say, the voting agrees with my own opinion...

Good job everybody though... (see previous post)

Offline SirUlrich

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2008, 08:53:09 AM »

Hello there everyone.

This was a great competition. And I must say that I am stunned on the final outcome of the voting. The difference in total votes between a lot of entries was so marginal that I consider every participant a winner. My sincerest thanks to each and everyone who took the time to vote and of course to those who voted for my entry. Thank you.

However my biggest thanks go to all the participants. In my oppinion the greatest benefit in competitions such as these is to take advantage of the creatitivity and talent of our forum members to spread good ideas around. I know I'm going to use a lot of these ideas in my future projects. So... GREAT JOB EVERYONE!

Wyzer1 - The banner. Enough said. You yourself admitted to nearly no conversion work, but the banner, the banner...  :biggriin:

Warhammerlord_soth - Great job on fitting the old arms on the new bodies! Good job, as always. I like the feel of the unit! The pose of the standard bearer is very good!

fbjorn - As stated before the combination of subtle conversions combined with a top notch paint job really does the trick. Outstanding job. I can't think of anything to improve in this entry!

Warlord - Excellent idea! I guess this is one of the ideas I'm shamelessly stealing for the future. Banner is great too. My only gripe would be the helmets. For some reason the cut off crests on the knights helmets look a little weird. Maybe some greenstuff on top to create the same roundness as the old state trooper head you have used. Maybe?

Sigmork - Great dynamics. Good posing. Good job!

Shadoweyed - Nice use of bits from here and there. The banner will look great with the entire unit! I'd like to see them painted to better make out the details. Other than that, good work.

JAK - I love the "old school" feel and after seeing the entire unit in your blog it makes even more sense. I really like the racial variety, the wide range of models creating that special diversity and of course the paint job. Excellent work!

username - Nice militia feel. Personally I don't like the corpse banner, but the idea is a usable one! Another unit which I'd like to see completed and maybe pictures of the individual models to yet again make out the details better!

Von Decker - Fantastic entry.  Greenstuff work is really good. The posing is just spot on. Everything in this entry looks great. Now get painting! I too believe that if you got the entry painted before the competition entries were due the voting results would have drastically changed!

CaptScott - Good work on the spears. I always liked that "parade" pose of the spears. I have a soft spot for the old unipose guys... Bill the Bouncer looks mean! Bagpiper looks great. What did you use for the ends of the pipes? That was what I was struggling the most with... A clean subtle paint job. Be proud of yourself!

geektom - Beautiful! Your painting skills are really awe inspiring. The added fur combined with the consistent checkerboard pattern creates a perfect feel for the northerner soldiers. The mordheim ogre is a nice model, but I would have liked to see two ordinary troopers in his stead for this competition. That said, one of my favourites!

King - If only you had painted them... Really. It's kind of tough to (yet again) make out all the nice details... This will look great when the entire unit is finished.

steveb - My favourite entry by far. Wow. The dynamics, the posing, everything is just perfect. Your entry is the one I wanted to make, but couldn't figure out how. Wow. The glossyness of the finished paint job is not to my liking and that is the only negative critisism I have on your entry.

redjoey - Now I thought that the "rules" for the competition stated: command group and two troopers. What you have are five musicians... Wait!? What?? You mean they are NOT the real Slipknot?  :icon_redface: On a more serious note, this was an excellent entry. Original, cool idea and a very good way to make it happen. Wow.

spacecowboy - Your talent is just... great. I don't know what more to say. I want... no, I need to see these guys painted with your painting skills. I love the posing, the greenstuff work is just spot on, the feel is very realistic. In other words I'm happy you didn't paint the entry since you would have won both competitions and that's just not fair for the rest of us.  :engel:

bornbm01 -   I admire your ambitious entry. I think that combining interests in this way is truly a feat worth of a compliment. Keep up the good work and remember, you still have the entire unit to finish!

And to answer a few of the latest questions:

@cubantie: I believe the old tradition was for the winner to decide the subject of the next competition, so ask spacecowboy on the theme and Calvin on the timeframe...

@VonDecker: I'd me more than happy to give a step-by-step on the piper, but after such a long post maybe in another thread or by PM?

Thanks again and congratulations everyone!

-SirU

You brush and pallette guys scare me ;)

Offline CaptScott

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2008, 09:21:34 AM »
Congratulations Sir Ulrich, well deserved  :eusa_clap:

I'd also like to give cheers to steveb, Von Decker, redjoey and fbjorn.  Sure was a close one in the end wasn't it!

:::cheers:::

In fact here's a round of drinks for all entrants, great comp!

:::cheers:::

Oh, and Sir Ulrich, my 'pipe tops' were plain ol' hilts from the sword accessories in the new state troops box  :-)
2010 - The year of Empire.
2011 - The year of Empire!

Offline fbjorn

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2008, 11:29:01 AM »

Well done Sir, a fair result.

I'm also very pleased with my position, thanks all who voted for my entry.

As said before this competition truly gives inspiration for future projects. Thanks to all who participated, well done.

f bjorn

Offline SpaceCowboy

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2008, 01:45:51 PM »
Congratulations to you SirUlrich! Really nice work, just love that unit. Dont think I had won this contest even if i had painted mine though, but thank you for the really kind words :icon_redface:. And all the other entries where really nice aswell, and im not really surprised that the contest got so even. Good work everyone, and thanks for all inspiration!
My gaming/painting blog http://diceandbrush.blogspot.com/

Offline Victor

• "D'ost thee feeleth favour'ed, Knave?"
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2008, 05:02:34 PM »
The question is .. who choses the theme for the next contest? SirUlrich or SpaceCowboy ?

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2008, 05:13:15 PM »
The question is .. who choses the theme for the next contest? SirUlrich or SpaceCowboy ?
Both...

Offline JAK

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2008, 07:18:08 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments about the figures. I’ve added some WIP pictures and hopefully answered all your questions from different threads to my Blog so everything stays together.

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2008, 11:56:05 PM »
Congradulations Sir U.  The piper and the guy next to him covering his ears are beautiful and funny.  great job.   Also a big  :eusa_clap: to everyone else also.   There were a lot of exelent entries. I'm glad I didnt enter this one.  The competition was too strong.   I had been waiting to post indevedual comments for all of you but there are just so many of you .... and I'm too lazy  :unsure: Well done  :::cheers:::