home

Author Topic: Detatchment rule query  (Read 1905 times)

Offline George

Detatchment rule query
« on: June 11, 2003, 10:19:52 PM »
A quick rule query...

Do detachments cause panic tests when fleeing if further than 3 inches from parent unit? What if the parent unit is destroyed? I've believe they don't, but I get queried every battle...by the same person. :?:
My Armies:
Empire
Ogres

Offline rufus sparkfire

• Global Moderator
Detatchment rule query
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2003, 10:44:01 PM »
Detachments never cause panic in friendly regiments. Ever.

I think the confusion is that some detachment rules (supporting fire, counter/supporting charges, use parent's leadership) only apply if the detachment is within 3" of the parent unit.

The panic rule is however a general rule that is always in effect unless the detachment is joined by a character.

This means that you can use the rule to take small units that can operate independently (which is especially good for missile units) but which will not panic your other troops.

It's quite clearly stated in the Empire book - just show your opponent that if they doubt you.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Veldemere

Re: Detatchment rule query
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2007, 09:39:05 PM »
Thats a fine answer. I am merely seeing if Wyzer1's inquisition truly has any power or if Midaski truly holds the power!
Veldemere, Elector Count of Solland (Elect)
Quote from: wissenlander
  I'm fine with Veldemere and his retinue of disgruntled's

Offline cisse

• let the wookie win!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 09:42:24 PM »
Detachments never cause panic in friendly regiments. Ever.
One exception, namely if you have a character join a detachment.
cisse

No matter how fast you run, your ass will always be in front of me...

Offline redflag

• An Orc Elector Count!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 09:58:55 PM »
This happens to be a big rule change from the 6th edition and for the better.  It is a simplification of the rules and it makes sense.  A detachment never causes panic now no matter where its placed.  This rule makes archer detachments  all the more powerfull since now you can have them travel away from their parent unit and protect other regiments from missle fire.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 10:10:54 PM by redflag »

Offline queek

• The Old Ones
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2007, 02:36:10 AM »
Redflag, this isn't a change.  Detachments didn't cause panic in 6th either, unless joined by a character.

Offline redflag

• An Orc Elector Count!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 02:13:17 PM »
Actually I remember there was some disagreement because of the "complicated" wording in the 6th edition detachment rules ( against the people I played against who argued that if a detachment flees and then rallies it becomes an independent unit if it was far away from the parent unit and not near to another empire regiment which could have a detachment,  ) I don't have the 6th edition anymore so I will concede the point.  Bottom line the detachment rules are simplified in the 7th edition and that is a good thing my opinion.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 08:41:04 PM »
Hey guys look at the date of the first two posts in this thread  -  2003

This must be the absolute worst/best case of necromancy as someone  :icon_question: has 'previoused'
to the very last thread on the entire EF and then replied to it.

Midaski's power rules Vlademere :engel:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 08:44:38 PM by Midaski »
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?